What is WannaCry and how to protect your self
What is WannaCry and how to protect your self!
Wannacry is a Ransomware, which encrypts files from infect computer and deletes original copy of the files, and allows the files to be de-crypted only when a set amount of Ransom is paid within 8 days.
Wannacry is classified as a Worm which means, it scans n local network and also on internet IP address to find and infect systems which are vulnerable over the network and self executes at those vulnerable PCs, it is dangerous as it continuously scans and spread sover the internet on computers which are vulnerable and self destructs once it encrypts all the files and sends a decryption key back to the wannacry creators.
Exploit code written in wannacry is designed to work only against un-patched Windows 7, Windows server 2008 systems, so Windows 10 PCs are not affected by this attack.
How to protect your self from Wanna cry?
- Upgrade your system to Windows 10 Operating System.
- If you are on Windows XP for which Microsoft has stopped security updates, yet Microsoft has released Wannacry patch for Windows XP, so download and install it.
- Install Windows updates regularly, Windows 7 and Windows 8 server systems do get regular update so kindly install these system updates as and when they are available, to stay safe (At least till new venerability is discovered). Best thing to do is to update your Operating system to Windows 10 which gets regular updates.
Also As per Microsoft Tech net Blog:
Until Security update MS17-010 patch is applied disable the following:
1. Disable SMBv1 (Source MS Technet blog)
2. Add rules on your router firewall to block incoming SMB traffic on port 445
3. Update Windows Defender Antivirus: As on update 1.243.297.0 Windows defender detects Ransom/Win32/WannaCrypt